Exmouth Modern History & Heritage Half Day Tour
- Duration: 4 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Exmouth, Western Australia
- Product code: PR0J0J
The historic Krait WWII Memorial, spectacular Charles Knife Gorge, Jurabi Turtle Centre & Vlamingh Head Lighthouse are some of the sites that you will visit on this tour,
The day begins with pick up from your Exmouth accommodation just before 8:30am. We then take the drive to out first destination, Krait WWII Memorial (25-minute drive). Along the way your guide will provide commentary about the area's natural and human history, and we keep our eyes out for local wildlife such as Emus and birds of prey. At this first stop you can delve into WWII history and learn about the secretive Operations Potshot, Jaywick & Rimau, in which Exmouth played a crucial role.
Next stop is Charles Knife Gorge, this stop provides impressive views as you ascend to 311m elevation to look out on to the Exmouth Gulf and the canyons of Charles Knife - known by locals as the 'mini Grand Canyon'. Then head north, passing back through Exmouth town on your way to the Jurabi Turtle Centre, where you will learn all things turtles. Learn about the three species of turtles that mate, nest and hatch along the Ningaloo Coast, their life cycle, habitat and the important work that is happening to conserve these species.
The final destination is the Vlamingh Head Lighthouse for panoramic views of the reef, the range and the Exmouth Gulf. Between mid-June and Early October, look out for the estimated 35-45,000 humpback whales as they undertake the annual migration between antarctic feeding grounds and Kimberly calving grounds. Learn about the history of the lighthouse, shipwrecks, WWII history and how the NW Cape was bombed by the Japanese! We'll then start the return journey to Exmouth town, arriving back at your accommodation at approximately 12:30pm.
- Scenic tour of Exmouth with a little bit of something for everyone: indigenous and European history, wildlife, scenic viewpoints and stories of past to present from our experienced and engaging guides
- Experience the spectacular gorges and scenery from high on the Cape Range at Charles Knife Gorge
- Delve into the mystery and intrigue of Exmouth's role in covert operations during WWII at the Krait/Potshot Memorial
- Learn about Ningaloo's marine turtles and their incredible adaptations at the Jurabi Turtle centre
- Visit the Vlamingh Head Lighthouse for sweeping views of reef and range, learn about pastoral, WWII and Cold War history, and spot some of the estimated 35,000 to 45,000 migrating humpback whales that travel past the NW Cape July to October
- Fully guided tour with commentary, picnic morning tea, and Exmouth accommodation pick up and drop off included
- Friendly and knowledgable guide
- Morning Tea – specific dietary requirements (e.g vegetarian, vegan, gluten free) can be catered for, please advise on booking
- Pick up / drop off from your Exmouth town accommodation.
- Complimentary tour photos taken by your guide
- Please come dressed in weather appropriate clothing: T-shirt, shorts and a hat, warmer layers in cooler months. We recommend wearing enclosed footwear on this tour.
- Hat, sunscreen, sunglasses
- Drinking water - you will need your own bottle of drinking water. Your guide will carry extra to top up if necessary
- Camera/ phone if you would like to take your own photos on the day